Friday, March 22, 2013

Sea Swept



Sea Swept by Nora Roberts

I downloaded the audio book from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review:


Sea Swept is the first book in Nora Roberts' Quinn Brothers of Chesapeake Bay Saga. Cameron Quinn is abruptly called home from his racing, playboy lifestyle in Europe when his adoptive father is fatally injured in a car accident. Cam and his two (also adopted) brothers promise their father on his deathbed that they will keep the latest boy he had just taken in. Enter a hot case worker and some nasty rumors, and things get complicated.

The book itself is classic Roberts. She evokes the setting so well that it almost becomes another character underlying the whole story. Some of the characters felt flat, while others were unexpectedly intriguing. The heroine was actually not one of the most compelling characters. She came across as a mash-up of a couple of different stock types: a take-no-prisoners modern woman who has random princess tantrums. Some of the supporting cast, however-- particularly Ethan and Seth-- should reward further exploration in the following books of the series.

Stars: 3.5

Runability: 4


As with almost all of the Brilliance Audio productions of Nora Roberts' books, this one was well-done. Male narrators of romance novels always throw me off-balance at first, but I was able to acclimate quickly to this one.

The next book in the series, Rising Tides, focuses on Ethan, so I will probably listen to it at some point. He was  my favorite character in Sea Swept, even though he had only a supporting role. At this point I'm not sure that I will continue the series past that; Philip is just too stock-metrosexual for me to want to spend an entire book on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment