Friday, May 10, 2013

Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts

I downloaded the audiobook from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review:


Nora Roberts is more than a talented and successful romance author; she does suspense, mystery, and crime very well, too. While there is romance and sex in Naked in Death, it takes a backseat to the serial killer mystery and actually manages to contribute to the main story.

In Death is a futuristic series but I think will hold up well even as we move farther into the future; this book was originally written in the mid-90's and aside from the limited use mobile technology, I still found the portrayal of 2058 fairly plausible. Technology was advanced and integrated into everyday life but had not changed long-established cultural norms or movements. Lt. Eve Dallas' America is still recognizably America, just with better transportation, security, and medical services.

I mean, we'd better have our flying cars in 45 years, darn it.

The story itself was compelling; the crimes were grisly and the psychology of Eve and the killer were interesting to unravel, as well. I had a pretty good bead on whodunnit about halfway through, however, and I am usually really bad at that, so the case may not intrigue seasoned mystery buffs. Still, the excellent writing and characterization will probably be enough to hold their interest.

Stars: 4.5

Runability: 5


Susan Ericksen does a simply amazing job with the narration. This is hands-down one of the best audiobook productions I've enjoyed, and it is the perfect running soundtrack. I have a hold on the next in the series and can't wait to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment