Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Inner Harbor

Inner Harbor by Nora Roberts

I downloaded the audio book from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review:


Inner Harbor is the third book in Roberts' Quinn Brothers of Chesapeake Bay Saga (read my reviews of the first, Sea Swept, and the second, Rising Tides). It follows the third Quinn brother, Philip, the advertising professional who lives in Baltimore and really, really likes fancy suits and expensive wine. He was my least favorite of the four Quinn brothers, and I was hesitant to follow him for an entire book.

Phil proved to be more interesting than I expected. Though his present bored me, his past was a good story, and it got to play a larger role than Phil's character in the previous books had led me to expect. The love interest was delightfully involved in the ongoing mystery of Seth's origins, and we finally get some answers about the boy's parentage.

Unfortunately, the love interest tended toward stock character and I found her frigid, boring, and unrealistic. At this point in the larger story arc, however, it was possible to overlook her failings as a character and enjoy this continuation of the series.

Stars: 3.5

Runability: 3.5


I enjoyed this book more than I anticipated. The audio reading of it was also better than I was expecting, given that this recording is being re-done with a different voice actor. I was able to get ahold of the older version, and I'm not sure why they feel the need to do a new version; this one was quite good and was not a jarring change from the reader who did the first two books in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment