Thursday, April 18, 2013

First, There is a River


First, There is a River by Kathy Steffen

I got a free ebook copy a couple of years ago as a Barnes & Noble Free Fridays promotion.

My review:


The story could have been intriguing but the writing was mediocre and the characterization was flat. Most of the characters and the relationships between them seemed to be pulled straight from psychology and social work textbooks. There were also just too many "issues" incorporated into such a brief novel: PTSD, domestic abuse, serial killing, alcoholism, child abuse, religious fanaticism, racism, and the importance of education.

The action did pick up toward the end of the book, but not enough to redeem the work. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time.

Stars: 1.5

No comments:

Post a Comment