Monday, April 22, 2013

Where Angels Fear to Tread


Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster

I downloaded a free ebook copy from Project Gutenberg.

My review:


This is E.M. Forster's first novel, though he is better known for A Room With a View. I only remember that novel vaguely, having experienced it during a whirlwind semester of literature classes when I was reading well upwards of a hundred pages of classics a day. Since that book had made little impression on me, I wasn't sure what to expect from Angels. The description made it sound frothy and quick, however, which suited my mood perfectly.

I don't normally care for books where each character is vaguely ridiculous and annoying, but I did like this one very much. I rolled my eyes at each and every person, and I was able to sit back in my smug superiority and watch the comedy of errors and manners unfold. Forster creates realistic and flawed people, and then he has events unfold precisely as you would expect them to in real life-- not resolved beautifully and not an utter disaster, but somewhere in between. Cultures clash, heads butt, and I had an enjoyable read.

Stars: 4


I may go back and re-read A Room With a View this summer, and I will certainly make a point of reading some of Forster's other works in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment