Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

I downloaded the ebook from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review:


It's an alternate edition of 1985, when the Crimean War still drags on and Special Operations forces try to maintain some semblance of order to the dimensions (the Chrono Guard stays busy keeping time in line) and various other aspects of the world.

Fforde's universe is reminiscent of something created by Douglas Adams or Neil Gaiman, though not to the same level of humorous absurdity. The heroine, Thursday Next, finds her surroundings more or less predictable. While this world may not make much sense to the reader, it does to the people inhabiting it. This is an important differentiation between The Eyre Affair and books like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which the protagonist is at least as baffled as the reader.

Recommended for readers who have a love for classic British literature and history as well as the works of Adams, Gaiman, and Pratchett.

Stars: 3

Objective stars: 4


I had a difficult time getting into this book. Life has sent us some exceptional challenges lately and I am finding myself drawn toward easy, contemporary books with neat, happy endings. This is a book that I would have adored in high school and college, and I think that I may return to the series later and give it another shot. For right now, my brain just didn't want to puzzle out the intricacies of Thursday's 1985.


No comments:

Post a Comment