Thursday, June 13, 2013

Secret Life of a Vampire

Secret Life of a Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks (Love at Stake series #6)

I downloaded the ebook from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review:


I'm gradually working my way through this series. I got the first book (How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire) as a Nook freebie several years ago and was hooked by the way these books totally OWN their cheesiness. They're romances featuring modern-day vampires (who are all impossibly gorgeous, of course). They're rich. They're kind. They're impossibly strong. They teleport. They're touchingly tortured with guilt. Most of them are sweetly awkward with women. Yes, some of them are Scottish warriors who wear kilts. I mean, let's just tackle all of the fantasies at once, shall we? These books are ridiculous, they know it, and they revel in it. And so do I.

This installment follows the literal son of Casanova as he meets a modern-day NYC cop who is hoping that she can get promoted to detective. It's formulaic if you've read the previous books in the series, but enjoyable, nonetheless. I just love how the author writes flirtation; the verbal sparring between the love interests is always the highlight of these books for me.

Stars: 2.5


I'll round up to 3. It was fun, but I didn't laugh out loud as many times as I have with the previous five books. I've heard that the series gets increasingly formulaic, but I'm going to give it another couple of tries before I can decide whether to abandon this guilty pleasure for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment