Monday, January 21, 2013

A Storm of Swords


A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

I borrowed an ebook copy through the public library's OverDrive service.


My review:

This is the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire (better known as The Game of Thrones) series and is my favorite of them thus far. It reminds me in the best possible way of the characteristics that made me fall in love with The Lord of the Rings books when I was a teenager; there is a huge cast of characters, a setting that spans multiple kingdoms, and storylines woven in and around each other.

I particularly love that in this book so many characters are being fleshed out beyond the roles they played in the first two. Lady Catelyn, Jon Snow, and Jaime and Tyrion Lannister, in particular, have become far more interesting and complex than I ever anticipated. Well, actually, I always knew that Tyrion was interesting and complex, but he becomes ever more so throughout this installment. In this respect, at least, I find that the Song of Ice and Fire series is even more fascinating than The Lord of the Rings.

A lot of readers are intimidated by epic sagas with confusing storylines and dozens of disappearing and reappearing characters, all related to each other through blood and old alliances kept or broken. I find that the key is to just go with it. Hold on to the main characters and their primary objectives and trust that you'll either remember or be reminded of whatever else you need to know. A nation that has been able to follow Lost or Desperate Housewives should not be intimidated by the complicated stories woven throughout an amazing book series.

Stars: 5





No comments:

Post a Comment