Thursday, January 10, 2013

On the Road


On the Road by Jack Kerouac

I downloaded the audiobook from the public library's OverDrive service.

My review, originally shared June 13, 2012:


Kerouac was a genius. Especially if it's true that he banged this book out in three manic, smoke-filled weeks at his typewriter. He took a bunch of people I despise, doing things that I find abhorrent, and kept me riveted the entire way through the book. This one was phenomenal on audio. 

Stars: 5

Runability: 3


This book actually has wildly divergent ratings on Goodreads; it's one of those titles that you adore or despise. I adored it. I'm giving it only a 3 for runability because I know I would have missed most of the beauty in the language if I had been listening to the machine-gun-fire dialogue while also trying to stay on my feet, keep breathing, and not get hit by cars. It was perfect for driving and doing chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment